Impacted wisdom is a situation that can be very painful. Understanding the signs of impacted wisdom teeth can help you know when to get proper dental help. Impacted wisdom teeth can be detected early through regular dental checkups and a panoramic x-ray. In some situations, Dr. Pannu might even recommend that patients to consider wisdom teeth removal early, even if they have not reported many problems
When They’re Impacted, There’s a Problem
There are certain signs and symptoms of impacted wisdom tooth which can warn you and Dr Pannu and her team can assist you with if you are in pain or early diagnosis can be done during regular dental visits
Three primary warning signs of impacted wisdom teeth are:
2. Swollen, Tender, Red or Bleeding Gums
3. Swelling around the Jaw
Secondary, additional symptoms may include:
- Bad taste in the mouth
- Unpleasant breath
- Swollen glands
- Headaches of the Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ), the connection between the jaw and skull
Complications of Impacted Wisdom Teeth
When wisdom teeth become impacted they can lead to crowding in the mouth, which promotes an abnormal development of the adjacent teeth. It can also cause infection in and around the impacted areas.
Complications can begin as bleeding gums or mild pain but if left untreated, these symptoms can develop into such hazards as:
- Damage to Adjacent Teeth: Wisdom teeth can push on the second molars, yielding infection or the requirement of orthodontia.
- Gum Disease and Tooth Decay: Wisdom teeth are prone to infection and decay due to this area of the mouth being rendered difficult to clean; this causes food and bacteria to become trapped between the teeth and gums.
- Development of Cysts: Wisdom teeth grow in a sac located within the jaw and when filled with fluid can develop an uncomfortable cyst that can damage nerves.
Unfortunately neglecting the issues above regarding your wisdom teeth may lead to more serious complications. As soon as you begin experiencing any of the warning signs outlined above, it is important to schedule an appointment with Dr. Pannu and address the issue head-on.